"I always knew that music was going to be my life, there was never any question about that. I had some huge moments of inspiration at a very young age that fueled my passion for music, and remain incredibly vivid in my mind to this day. I grew up in a small town near the Blue Mountains, but I was fortunate enough to see Tommy Emmanuel, Chain, the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, ELO, B.B King, AC/DC, and Deep Purple - all live in concert during those very impressionable years. Those incredible experiences lit a fire in me, and I knew that THIS was what I wanted to do. The incredible energy of the music, the overwhelming reaction of the crowds - it definitely changed something inside me!
I fell in love with so many genres of music at that time, and practiced the guitar up to 10 hours a day. Also having other instruments around the house, I began writing my own music, and started out recording everything on a run-down little 4-track tape recorder. As technology evolved, I got into computer-based recording software, which sparked my fascination for programming, recording and mixing.
In the years I've been a session musician, I've continued delving deeper into composition, arranging & particularly orchestration. Stravinsky, Ravel, Debussy, Mahler, Ralph Vaughan-Williams and Aaron Copland became major influences, as well as certain film composers such as Bernard Herrmann, Howard Shore, Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams.
The driving force that motivates me has always been the same - a deep passion and desire to compose, perform, discover, create & collaborate. Music is an amazing vehicle for self-expression and creativity, but for me, the real magic happens when you come together with other people and create something you never would have realized on your own. Working with a director to develop their vision for a film score, composing with other writers, recording with great musicians & producers, performing live with a killer band - it's all about collaboration and having great fun doing it - that's what music is for me."
Wright's career has spanned live performance, studio recording, composing for film, TV, commercials & music libraries, working as album producer and arranger, and touring with many artists throughout Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan & the USA.
- Composed and orchestrated the score for feature film 'My Pet Dinosaur', from Australian director Matt Drummond. 'My Pet Dinosaur' released nationally in Hoyts and other Australian cinemas on April 22, 2017, and is now available on iTunes & DVD. The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack for 'My Pet Dinosaur' was released on Australian iTunes on 20 August 2017, and reached number 20 on the soundtrack charts.
- Composed and orchestrated the score for feature film 'Dinosaur Island', Australian director Matt Drummond's debut. 'Dinosaur Island' was released in over 50 countries worldwide, and screened nationally in Hoyts & United cinemas in early 2015. After releasing in all major Australian retailers on Blu-Ray & DVD, the film is now available on iTunes. (2015)
- Composer for Drama Tracks & Sonic OZault production music libraries. Spanning 12 albums to date, Wright's tracks have been used in TV shows such as ,'Hawaii Five - 0', 'Bull', 'Australian Idol', 'Getaway', 'The Great Outdoors', FOX AFL, 'A Current Affair', 'Sunrise', 'V8 Extra' and 'Thank God You're Here'. (2017)
- Guitarist for Australian productions of the musicals:
- 'Billy Elliot - The Musical' (2019)
- 'Chicago' (2019)
- ‘Saturday Night Fever’ (2019)
- ‘The Book Of Mormon’ (2018)
- 'Beautiful' (2017)
- 'Kinky Boots' (2017)
- 'Georgy Girl'. (2016)
- 'Matilda'. (2015)
- 'The Rocky Horror Show'. (2015)
- 'Wicked '. (2014/2015)
- 'The Lion King'. (2013/2014)
- 'Addams Family'.(2013)
- 'Legally Blonde'. (2012)
- 'An Officer & A Gentleman'. (2012)
- 'Hairspray'. (2011)
- 'Fame'. (2010)
- 'Avenue Q'.(2009)
- 'High School Musical'. (2009)
- 'Las Vegas Confidential'. (2008)
- 'Rocky Horror Show'. (2008)
- 'Saturday Night Fever'. (2004/2005)
- Session guitarist on many commercials including brands such as Pizza Hut, Hungry Jacks, Daimler Chrysler, Hyundai, Fox Sports News, Makita Power Tools, Bundaberg Rum, Fox Sports NRL theme, and Fox Sports Soccer theme. (2017)
Recorded with artists including Sia, Ronan Keating, & performed live with legendary folk-rock artist Donovan at 'Byron Bay Bluesfest'. (2012)
- Studied orchestration with Berklee School Of Music and successfully completed the 'Orchestration 1' course. (2012)
- Guitarist for David Campbell's 'Today Show' Australia Day (2009) performance, live in Adelaide. Also performed with David on Channel 7's 'Sunrise', as part of his 2012 'Let's Go' tour. (2012)
- Opened for Billy Cobham's 'Culture Mix Band', with Lewis Pragasam at KLPAC, Malaysia. (2006)
- Guitarist for Lewis Pragasam's 'Asiabeat'. Performances have included regular shows at 'Alexis' (Kuala Lumpur), the 2006 'Mont Kiara Jazz Festival' (Kuala Lumpur), the 2007 'Sunrise Jazz Festival' (Kuala Lumpur), the 2007 'Java Jazz Festival' (Jakarta) and the 2007 tour of Indonesia. Wright also recorded all guitars on the Asiabeat album, 'Urban Beyond'. (2007)
'Heroes Of Earth' world tour with artist Leehom Wang. Stadium shows in Las Vegas, San Francisco, Singapore, Taipei, Shanghai & Hong Kong. The Taipei concert is now available on DVD from Sony Music. Wright also performed with Leehom at the 2006 New Year's Eve 'Countdown Concert' in Shanghai. (2007)
'Come as you are' tour with artist Sandy Lam, performing 10 shows at Star Hall, Hong Kong. (2007)
- Produced the album 'Bali Lounge II' for Omega Pacific Productions (Indonesia), with Lewis Pragasam. Performed with the group at the 2007 'Jak Jazz Festival', and the official album launch at nightclub 'X2'. (2007)
- Performed at the 2007 Australian MTV Music Awards with Stephanie McIntosh ('Neighbours'), and appears in the video for her single, 'Do I Say Sorry First'. (2007)
- Guitarist for the pop/rock adaptation of musical 'Carmen', starring pop artist A-Mei. Two concerts at Taipei Arena, Taiwan. (2006)
- Toured Queensland with the Eurogliders to promote their new self-titled album. Also appeared with them at the Darling Harbour Jazz Festival. (2006)
- Toured Melbourne, Sydney, Beijing & Shanghai with 'Floorplay' - a dynamic ballroom dancing show from the producers of 'Burn The Floor'. (2005)
- Toured with Sam McNally's 'Blues Solution' band to Beijing, China - performing at blues club 'Ice House'. (2005)
- Guitarist for 'The Australian Smooth Jazz Show' featuring saxophonist Andrew Oh and keyboardist Sam McNally. Also regularly performed with the 'Sam McNally Band' at the The Basement, Sydney. (2004)
- Won $20,000 in the 'Nescafe Big Break Competition', which contributed to the construction of Soundwright Studios. (2002)